Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My scraps basket






I wanted to come up with a catchy name for my easter basket.Lastnight or this morning (4a.m.) when I went to post it nothing was coming to me and that's probably because it WAS 4 a.m. and I was feeling a little tired! This morning I sat down with my cup of coffee to post and I thought to myself you need to put up the pictures of your scraps basket. There it was. Scraps basket! maybe not so catchy, but it best describes the materials I used in making this. It started out as a bird nest which I made out of the box stuffing paper from my stamping up order. In my collage class Sunday we were joking about keeping that stuffing or tossing it and I said I felt like I could make a cool dress with it by scrunching it & misting it. Instead I misted it & made into a birds nest/basket. The eggs In it I started out by taking toilet paper rolls & them cut into 3 pieces. Then stuffed them with paper and started taking strips of a paper bag brushed with watered down mod podge. Then I starting shaping them into an egg shape. Basically paper mache. When I finished the eggs I sped up the drying process with my heating tool because I'm a little on the impatient side. I first painted them & didn't like the way that looked at all so thats when I got the idea of using buttons to cover them. For an impatient person that took too long so I only did one egg covered with buttons. I loved it but no way was I gonna do all three eggs. The other two eggs I covered with pieces of old shirts that I have in my fabric stash. Then I added a little bling by adding old jewelery pieces to one & sequin flowers to the other. I made grass out of green crepe paper that I cut with my martha stewart scissors that cuts in strips. The handle to the basket I've had forever. Some ribbon on the trim, a bow on the side, a few flowers & Ta da! I had a beautiful, one of a kind easter basket. It's crazy what all we can make with scraps, a little creativity, & alot of imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment